REMARKS: KEY PIERS AND KEY DRY-BULK:
4#: ALUMINA/FERTILIZERS PNMX AFTER LIGHTING OR HANDY SIZE
9#: FERTILIZERS/ALUMINA PNMX WITH ALMOST FULL LADEN
11#: ALUMINA PNMX WITH ALMOST FULL LADEN
33#: SPECIAL GRAIN PNMX WITH ALMOST FULL LADEN
34#: IRON ORE CAPE WITH ALMOST FULL LADEN
35#: IRON ORE PNMX WITH ALMOST FULL LADEN
38~39#: COAL TERMINAL TO ACCEPT PNMX
59#: HEAVY PIECES, IRON ORE CAPE AFTER LIGHTING
62~64#: LIGHTENED IRON ORE OR FERTILIZERS PNMX
Lianyungang (or Lien-yun-kang) is located near the mouth of the Ch抋ng-wei River, at the north end of a network of canals in the coastal districts of northern Kiangsu in China.
Founded as Hai-chou in 549 AD, the Port of Lianyungang was a center for salt production in the 600s. It became a county seat in 1911 when the republic was founded.
The Port of Liangyungang was opened to foreign trade in 1905 when it added the collection of agricultural produce to salt to be shipped through Tsingtao to Shanghai. Modern expansion started when the Lung-hai Railway was constructed. When the railroad was extended to the coast in 1933, the Port of Lianyungang was constructed by a Dutch company. Although the port was linked with far-away cities in Shensi and was the center of a canal network, growth was slow.
Significant growth of the Port of Lianyungang did not begin until the Japanese occupation of 1938. The Chinese had destroyed much of the port, but the Japanese dredged and rebuilt to transport exports of coal, iron ore, phosphates, salt, and grain.
In 1949, several river ports were merged and named Lianyungang. Facilities have been improved, and the Port of Lianyungang has continued to grow as a fishing port and center for the salt industry. China designated it as one of the 搊pen?cities in its policy to encourage foreign investment.
The Port of Lianyungang is one of the ten largest seaports in China, and it has trade relationships with about a thousand ports in more than 150 countries around the world. The Port of Lianyungang has more than ten international container lines that make more than 160 voyages a month. The port offers special-purpose docks for handling coal, containers, grain, wood, and some hazardous cargo.
In 2004, the Port of Lianyungang handled over 43 million tons of cargo and over 500 thousand containers. Its main channel is almost 38 feet deep, accommodating vessels to 100 thousand tons at high tide. It has stock capacity for 3 million tons, over 110 acres of logistics park, and almost 25 acres of warehouse. It is China's largest port for importing alumina and for exporting wheat and veneer. It is the second largest port exporting coke. The port has several projects underway to expand cargo-handling capacity so that, in 2008, its throughput capacity should exceed 100 million tons and 3 million TEUs of containerized cargo.
Cruising and Travel
The Port of Lianyungang is also a popular tourist destination. It offers beautiful natural scenery with both mountains and sea nearby and is considered by many to be an ideal summer resort. Huaguo Mountain, home of the Monkey King, is located here, where visitors can enjoy a succession of beautiful waterfalls, the highest being over 100 feet. Travelers can also visit ancient Haizhou City, 5000-year old totem cave murals, the China's oldest Buddhist murals.